If you know me, you probably know that I’m a big fan of Stephen Covey. In 1988, Covey coined the term abundance mentality to define a concept in which a person believes that there are enough resources and successes to be shared with others. In contrast, the scarcity mentality states that when a person believes that if someone else wins, you automatically lose.
At the picnic of life, people with an abundance mentality believe that there is enough pie to go around, and people with a scarcity mentality do not. Every decision you make in life boils down to two roads: the road of scarcity and the road of abundance.
Abundance Mentality vs. Scarcity Mentality
Choosing the scarcity mindset often means spending your days feeling that you aren’t living a full life. Because the scarcity mindset leads you to believe that one person’s success is another person’s failure, you won’t root for your friends. Your interpersonal relationships may become strained, and you could be overwhelmed by negativity.
Living with the scarcity mindset means being ruled by fear.
Those who choose to live with the abundance mindset may find that the world is full of possibilities. Positivity breeds opportunity—and when you maintain that there is enough success to go around, you won’t be so afraid of failure. When you don’t feel compelled to be in constant competition with your peers, you can share in their wins, too.
Great leaders know that teamwork, creativity, and productivity thrive under the abundance mentality.
Are You Ready to Embrace the Abundance Mentality?
Cultivating an abundant mindset can be easier than you think. Whether you are an abundance mentality beginner or veteran, reading constructive quotes can boost confidence and strengthen your commitment to positivity. Many people find reading abundance mentality quotes encouraging and affirming.
Read and repeat these quotes to yourself when you find yourself struggling to maintain the abundance mentality.
Abundance Mentality Quotes
- “An abundance mentality springs from internal security, not from external rankings, comparisons, opinions, possessions, or associations.”- Stephen Covey
- “Abundance is about being rich, with or without money.”- Suze Orman
- “Doing what you love is the cornerstone of having abundance in your life.”- Wayne Dyer
- “If you look at what you have in your life, you’ll always have more. If you look at what you don’t have in life, you’ll never have enough.”- Oprah Winfrey
- “Riches are not from abundance of worldly goods, but from a contented mind.”- Nazr Mohammed
- “If you want love and abundance in your life, give it away.”- Mark Twain
- “True abundance is feeling worthy enough to believe beyond what you can see. Expect miracles and they will manifest.”- Sarah Prout
- “The entire universe is conspiring to give you everything you want.”- Abraham Hicks
- “When we give generously, with an abundance mentality, what we give away will multiply.”- Henri Nouwen
- “When you are grateful, fear disappears and abundance appears.”- Tony Robbins
- “You can become instantly successful with a simple thought, but long-lasting and pronounced success comes to those who renew their commitment to a mindset of abundance every minute of every hour of every day.”- Bryant McGill
- “There’s enough for everyone. If you can believe it, if you can see it, if you act from it, it will show up for you. That’s the truth.”- Michael Beckwith
- “Talent is always conscious of its own abundance, and does not object to sharing.”- Alexander Solzehnitsyn
- “A great many years ago, I purchased a fine dictionary. The first thing I did with it was to turn to the word ‘impossible,’ and neatly clip it out of the book. That would not be an unwise thing for you to do.”- Napoleon Hill
- “When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.”- Lao Tzu
- “See yourself living in abundance and you will attract it. It always works, it works every time, with every person.”
If you are not used to thinking abundantly, these quotes may seem unnatural or awkward. However, as you commit to developing an abundance mentality, they can help you change your life.
Since nobody’s perfect, you may periodically swerve into a scarcity mindset. It’s easy to focus on what you aren’t when you’re scrolling through social media or pushing through a workout at the gym. That’s okay. When this happens, forgive yourself, study these quotes and other resources, and continue on your path.
What’s your favorite quote about the abundance mentality?